Kenda Kikuyu Turf
Kenda Kikuyu is a fast establishing form of Kikuyu turf with great drought and wear tolerance. If you have a large dog or kids, or a footy team to keep happy, Kenda is a good high wear tolerance option. Kenda Kikuyu is excellent value, especially when you consider how much better it’s winter colour is compared to any other warm season turf, including Buffalo, Couch, or other Kikuyu types.
Click here to Contact Us about Kenda Kikuyu Turf.
Why is a Kenda Kikuyu Turf so Good?
For Commercial use
Sporting fields, parks, golf courses, race courses, and other amenity areas. Kenda Kikuyu has greatly improved wear tolerance because it has four times as many rhizomes, and more vigorous stolons. It’s far more winter active, which is important as that’s when sporting lawns are prone to most damage.
For the home owner
Hard wearing Kenda is the perfect choice for hard playing kids and energetic dogs. But what makes Kenda absolutely perfect for front and back yards is its winter activity, meaning in most parts of Australia, you can have a dark green lawn all year round, even in winter.
Kenda Kikuyu Advantages
- Good disease tolerance.
- Great winter colour compared to most other grasses.
- Less vertical growth if left unmown for a period.
- Kenda’s lack of seed compared to common Kikuyu makes it much safer and greatly reduces the chance of invasion into neighboring bushland, gardens and neighbors lawns.
- Kenda is beautiful. Many have commented that with its dark green colour and leaf texture, it resembles a well maintained Tall Fescue lawn.
- Less turf replacement required for sporting ovals.
Kenda Kikuyu Disadvantages
- Kenda is very fast across the ground, so it will run into gardens a little faster, but Kikuyu in general is a poor choice for people with lots of gardens that do not have good hard edges. All Kikuyu types are aggressive near gardens. Buffalo lawns and Empire are a better choice for this.
- Like other Kikuyu types, Kenda is not good in shade. Buffalo and Zoysia types are better. Kenda prefers full sun, or at the most light shade.
- Kenda like other Kikuyu will need more mowing than Couch, Buffalo and Zoysia, but this is probably why it is so popular for high wear areas